Do you know someone in your District, Division or County/Island who is special and who you feel deserves recognition for what they do for Guiding? Have you thought about nominating them for a Guiding Award?
The Girlguiding South West England Young Adult Leaders Award can be gained by any Leader aged 18 to 30 years who has done something special, something remarkable. The something special or remarkable is wide ranging and will depend on the individual’s circumstances.
How to Apply
You are asked to send a minimum 3 letters or statements in support of the application. The application needs to tell the Region Awards Sub-committee some of the following:
- Information about the member you are nominating
- Information about what she does in Guiding
- Information about the something special or something remarkable – please tell us what your nominee has been doing
Please remember that it is highly unlikely that anyone on the Award Sub-committee will know the member being nominated so a range of letters/statements are needed which can provide the information and demonstrate the member’s commitment and involvement.
Letters or supporting statement can be made by letter or email. They can from leaders, advisers or girls in the unit. One of the letters of support must be from a Commissioner. Please see these guidelines for writing letters.
1. The application form can be downloaded here, or can be requested from Lucy at the Region office.
2. Applications must be made without the knowledge of the Nominee.
3. Completed applications should be returned to Lucy Asher, together with supporting letters/statements, to arrive no later than one month before the meeting of the Awards Sub-committee at which it will be considered. As a guide, completed award applications must be submitted by 20 December or 20 April for consideration at the mid-January or mid-May Awards Sub-committee meetings.
4. Please mark applications which are sent by post ‘Confidential’. Applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Award applications with supporting letters/statements may also be sent by email to
5. A minimum of 3 letters of support are required. The supporting information may be by letter or email statement.
6. Applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
7. The Region office will confirm by email the safe arrival of all award applications.
What happens after the Awards Sub-committee?
- The Sub-committee’s decision will be final. However:
- On the advice of the Sub-committee an application may be resubmitted. This could be because the Sub-committee feel that additional letters of support will strengthen the application
- If the application is unsuccessful a brand new application may be submitted for the Nominee after a period of two years
- The County/Island Commissioner, County/Island Awards Committee Chairman and the Nominator will be informed of the decision of the Sub-committee.
- The Award will be presented at a suitable occasion within the recipient’s County or Island.